Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Cakeology Earl Grey Tea + Honey Cupcake

The cupcake craze got to Boston late. Very late. I used to live in NYC and there we had the likes of Magnolia, Baked by Melissa, Billy's, Sugar Sweet Sunshine, Buttercup, etc. - over saturated to say the least. I even missed the most recent fad - the Sprinkles Cupcake ATM where you can satisfy that craving 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

In Boston in the last few years we were graced with both chains and local cupcakeries that included Sweet, Crumbs, Kickass, Cakeology, Isabelle's Curly Cakes (Chef Todd English's daughter) and more recently, Georgetown Cupcake (only opened in Newbury Street thus far in Boston). For consistently moist cake, a perfect cake to frosting ratio and interesting flavors along with a solid ability to represent the flavor they are touting, I love Cakeology in Downtown Crossing. Sweet is too dry with too much frosting and flavors are not well pronounced, Crumbs is a good cupcake but I find it to be too big, I've never had Kickass and Georgetown Cupcake is generally consistently good, but I prefer a local bakery as opposed to a chain.

My favorite cupcakes at Cakeology are the Earl Grey Tea + Honey and White Chocolate Strawberry. Delicious, light, moist, flavorful, not too sweet, and the perfect size. In fact, I need one. Or two. Stat!

Photo Courtesy of Yelp.com

Photo courtesy of Dgrub http://dgrubs.com/category/stores/

No comments:

Post a Comment